New Restaurant in Burnsville
Melba's Jammin'
2006-02-22 18:47:08 UTC
Full Moon Café, on the Burnsville Parkway, south side, just east of 35W,
just west of USBank. We've been noticing construction activity there
for a couple weeks. They opened yesterday. Chinese food. They have a
lunch buffet (which I have not tried) for $4.50 that includes an
appetizer, soup (I *think*), rice, and one entree. Two entrees, $5.25;
three entrees, $5.75 -- if I'm remembering the higher prices correctly.
The owners of this place are the sibs of the guy who used to run the Cam
Ranh Bay that's on 42 in B'ville, Michael Chang. (Mike married the
middle daughter of the CRB owners.)

The location used to be a Pickerman's sandwich shop. Green checked
vinyl tablecloths and fresh carnations in bud vases on the tables. :-)

I don't know if they've been in the restaurant business before, Julie
and Sean. Yesterday they were trying to figure out the cash register.
:-) It's an interesting "concept", AFAIC. Order at a counter, sit
down, and they'll bring it to you -- in what can only be described as
take-out containers. As opposed to plates. DIY water; bottled sodas
and juices. Flatware is plastic, plates (I requested one) are plastic.
Mike (helping them get up and running) said it's the "new thing" in
California. I reminded him that he's back in Minnesota. :-) I had
rather lengthy conversation with the owners about their operation.
Julie was happy to talk to me about stuff.

All THAT said -- we liked the food! I had shrimp lo mein for $7, I
think. It was very tasty and not greasy. Thin noodles!! Yeay!!!
Mike's wife, Phuong, said that the chef isn't into fat and is into
healthful eating. I hope they succeed -- they are within 2 blocks of
the Chinese Gourmet (west side of the freeway at the Parkway) and
within a mile of Jade Garden (Nicollet & Parkway, north of TCF in the
strip mall), and within a mile of Chang's (I think that's what it's
called) near the Starbuck's in the shopping area where the new Cub is.
That's four Chinese places within 2 miles of each other. (What the hell
were they thinking?) Rob had beef in garlic sauce and enjoyed it. The
hot and sour soup wasn't hot (temp) when it was served and I'll cut them
slack for that as a point of opening day logistical shakeout, and it was
a different flavor than I'm accustomed to. Rob sees it as a place to
pick up take away food. I don't remember seeing chow mein on the menu
but I'm thinking it's got to be there.

I'll bring some brownies next week. "-)

Jeremy Iggers I'm not. "-)
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 2-19-2006, Yummy! and church review. :-)
Kash76
Cool, next time I work from home I'll have to take a little ride over there!
Steve Bartman
2006-02-23 04:34:15 UTC

Post by Melba's Jammin'
called) near the Starbuck's in the shopping area where the new Cub is.
I think it's Chan's. Have eaten there twice, pre-Cub, in order not to
buy out the place.

Hot and plentiful. Have only had dinner combos (entree, chicken-fried
rice, egg roll.) They bring it out to the table. Also served in "bins"
rather than plates, but that keeps it hot longer IMO. Plastic forks.

Very clean (it's new), kitchen in view of dining area. Seems they do a
lot of take-out. Cashier wears a Bluetooth headset taking phone
orders.

Steve
www.thepaxamsolution.com
Melba's Jammin'
2006-02-23 13:36:41 UTC
Post by Melba's Jammin'
called) near the Starbuck's in the shopping area where the new Cub is.
I think it's Chan's. Have eaten there twice, pre-Cub, in order not to
buy out the place.
Hot and plentiful. Have only had dinner combos (entree, chicken-fried
rice, egg roll.) They bring it out to the table. Also served in "bins"
rather than plates, but that keeps it hot longer IMO. Plastic forks.
Very clean (it's new), kitchen in view of dining area. Seems they do a
lot of take-out. Cashier wears a Bluetooth headset taking phone
orders.
Steve
Thanks, Steve. Chan's it is. Give Full Moon a shot and tell them Barb
Schaller sent you! (I have no connection with the place other than
interested bystander.)
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 2-19-2006, Yummy! and church review. :-)
WDS
2006-02-23 16:29:43 UTC
Post by Melba's Jammin'
Order at a counter, sit
down, and they'll bring it to you -- in what can only be described as
take-out containers. As opposed to plates. DIY water; bottled sodas
and juices. Flatware is plastic, plates (I requested one) are plastic.
Mike (helping them get up and running) said it's the "new thing" in
California. I reminded him that he's back in Minnesota.
This isn't new, even here, though often they also do take out. I've
eaten at some places like this for many years.
Melba's Jammin'
2006-02-23 21:31:48 UTC
Post by WDS
Post by Melba's Jammin'
Order at a counter, sit
down, and they'll bring it to you -- in what can only be described as
take-out containers. As opposed to plates. DIY water; bottled sodas
and juices. Flatware is plastic, plates (I requested one) are plastic.
Mike (helping them get up and running) said it's the "new thing" in
California. I reminded him that he's back in Minnesota.
This isn't new, even here, though often they also do take out. I've
eaten at some places like this for many years.
Really? Well, I'll be. . . .
So, if Rob and I go into a place like this and order, say, a quart of
chow mein with rice to eat on the premises, we get a container of chow
mein, a container of rice, and two plastic forks? And then at a table
and take turns eating from container to mouth?
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 2-19-2006, Yummy! and church review. :-)
Andy Wang
2006-03-06 16:15:48 UTC
Speaking of new restaurants in burnsville, on hwy 13 (1916 to be exact)
there's a new thai restaurant, Mekong river thai. The owner is a former
chef at the lowertown st paul sawatdee. We went there over the weekend
and ordered their spicy noodles and basil fried rice.

The food was excellent. I'm not exactly a good food critic, but I know
what I like and I like this place.

Try it out :).. write a review.

They've been open only 3 months. They're far enough away from where we
live that unfortunately we probably won't get there often, but people
who do live close by should give it a shot and keep them in business for
when my wife and I do feel like driving down south :).
Melba's Jammin'
2006-03-06 20:50:46 UTC
Post by Andy Wang
Speaking of new restaurants in burnsville, on hwy 13 (1916 to be exact)
there's a new thai restaurant, Mekong river thai. The owner is a former
chef at the lowertown st paul sawatdee. We went there over the weekend
and ordered their spicy noodles and basil fried rice.
The food was excellent. I'm not exactly a good food critic, but I know
what I like and I like this place.
Try it out :).. write a review.
They've been open only 3 months. They're far enough away from where we
live that unfortunately we probably won't get there often, but people
who do live close by should give it a shot and keep them in business for
when my wife and I do feel like driving down south :).
13 & What? East or West?
--
-Barb
<www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 3-5-2006 Church review #8
Andy Wang
2006-03-06 21:22:51 UTC
Post by Melba's Jammin'
13 & What? East or West?
It was dark, I really don't know burnsville at all, so I don't know the
cross street.
the address is 1916 East Highway 13

It's next to shooters billiard club.
Andy Wang
2006-03-06 21:28:36 UTC
Post by Andy Wang
Post by Melba's Jammin'
13 & What? East or West?
It was dark, I really don't know burnsville at all, so I don't know the
cross street.
the address is 1916 East Highway 13
It's next to shooters billiard club.
maps.google.com to the rescue:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=1916+Mn-13+E,+burnsville,+mn
Melba's Jammin'
2006-03-07 00:19:54 UTC
Post by Andy Wang
Post by Melba's Jammin'
13 & What? East or West?
It was dark, I really don't know burnsville at all, so I don't know the
cross street.
the address is 1916 East Highway 13
It's next to shooters billiard club.
Town & Country Shopping Center (formerly Sioux Trail)
"East" told me what I wanted to know. I think that spot was once part
of a small chain of Vietnamese restaurants -- can't remember the name --
and has been at least three others since. Good luck to them. I'm not
fond of any Thai food I've had but Rob likes it - we'll probably check
it out. Thanks for the nod.
John A. Weeks III
2006-03-07 02:52:50 UTC
Post by Andy Wang
Speaking of new restaurants in burnsville,
Again, speaking of new restaurants, I see that Blimbli Bay
is gone, and now is a sports bar. So much for that concept.

-john-
John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708 ***@johnweeks.com
Newave Communications http://www.johnweeks.com
Howard Beale
2006-03-07 13:48:50 UTC
Post by John A. Weeks III
Post by Andy Wang
Speaking of new restaurants in burnsville,
Again, speaking of new restaurants, I see that Blimbli Bay
is gone, and now is a sports bar. So much for that concept.
I thought the Blimbli Bay locations were previously Pickled Parrots. I
don't know why, but I seem to remember a server at the end of Uptown
location's run as a Pickled Parrot saying that Blimbli Bay was a Famous
Dave's concept.

What boggles my mind is how many "sports bars" there are and how alike they
are, right down to the menu. If you really, really wanted to go to a
"sports bar", how would you choose which one to go to? Best TV?
tdstr
2006-03-07 15:08:43 UTC
Post by Howard Beale
Post by John A. Weeks III
Post by Andy Wang
Speaking of new restaurants in burnsville,
Again, speaking of new restaurants, I see that Blimbli Bay
is gone, and now is a sports bar. So much for that concept.
I thought the Blimbli Bay locations were previously Pickled Parrots. I
don't know why, but I seem to remember a server at the end of Uptown
location's run as a Pickled Parrot saying that Blimbli Bay was a Famous
Dave's concept.
What boggles my mind is how many "sports bars" there are and how alike they
are, right down to the menu. If you really, really wanted to go to a
"sports bar", how would you choose which one to go to? Best TV?
If the bar refers themselves as a 'sports bar' then you are pretty much
guaranteed a generic form of bar model. A real sports bar wouldn't
really classify themselves as a 'sports bar'. Besides, there is only
one true 'sports bar' in the cities...Bunny's!

Still hoping to get my own Bunny's private parking spot...I think Tice's
spot is available :)

Ted Novak
TRA#5512
IEAS#75
Melba's Jammin'
2006-03-07 20:33:10 UTC
Post by Howard Beale
Post by John A. Weeks III
Post by Andy Wang
Speaking of new restaurants in burnsville,
Again, speaking of new restaurants, I see that Blimbli Bay
is gone, and now is a sports bar. So much for that concept.
I thought the Blimbli Bay locations were previously Pickled Parrots. I
don't know why, but I seem to remember a server at the end of Uptown
location's run as a Pickled Parrot saying that Blimbli Bay was a Famous
Dave's concept.
Correct. I don't know if all were formerly Pickled Parrots (the one in
AV was), but Dave had some of the ownership.