Dinner at Porter and Frye
Scott
2008-12-29 17:46:25 UTC
Since we're talking about good dinners here...we went to dinner with
some friends at Porter and Frye last night in the Ivy Hotel downtown
Minneapolis.

http://www.porterandfrye.com

The restaurant was dimly light and very comfortable. The host greeted
us immediately at the door and took our coats. He then lead us to a
nice corner table with large heavy overstuffed leather chairs, very
comfortable.

The restaurant was fairly busy with most tables full on the main
floor for a Sunday night. The extra downstairs seating was closed
off for the night, though.

Our waitron arrived immediately and gave us the huge drink/wine
lists. Everyone tried a signature cocktail from the bar, and all
were pretty interesting and tasty.

When the drinks arrived the waitron took our order for the appetizers
and brought a tasty amuse-bouche of winter squash soup with a
dollop of melted apple butter on top for each of us. Delicious.

We had appetizers for the table of mussels in garlic and white ale
with crusty bread, and Kobe beef tenderloin sliders (mini-burgers)
and both were outstanding.

For the main courses the women had the vegetarian Tagliatelle
with maitake mushrooms, fennel, turnips, curry and hazelnuts.
My friend had grass fed beef tenderloin marinated in marsla
wine with gorgonzola and potato puree. I had the Wagyu beef
shortrib with (subtle) horseradish sauce and corona beans.

We shared tastes of each dish amongst our group and all were
excellent. I especially loved the Wagyu shortribs. Delicious
nicely marbled beef, cooked rare and it just melted in the mouth.
The horseradish sauce was subtle and added just the right
kick to the beef.

The wines the waitron recommended with dinner were spot on
for each of us, especially the French La Modone Gamay with
my shortribs.

For dessert we shared a sticky sweet kumquat cake with ginger
ice cream and coffees all the way around. Perfect topper to the
meal.

The service, food, and ambiance were all top notch.

I highly recommend Porter and Frye for the foodies out there looking
for a nice low key meal. It would also be a good restaurant for a
romantic date. Be sure to make reservations and request a corner
table for a little more intimacy.

.
.

- Scott Smith: ***@iphouse.com
MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/choppersmith
Scott
2008-12-29 18:17:10 UTC
Post by Scott
Since we're talking about good dinners here...we went to dinner with
some friends at Porter and Frye last night in the Ivy Hotel downtown
Minneapolis.
http://www.porterandfrye.com
The restaurant was dimly light and very comfortable.
Dimly 'lit', I mean. Or dimly 'lighted'. Either way, it was kind
of dark in there. ;-)

.
.

Brian Link
2008-12-31 05:33:14 UTC
Post by Scott
[...]
Thanks for posting a restaurant review - I always think that's a good
use of mn.general.

Is it pricey? I think for Christmas dinner the 3 courses cost from $30
to $40 at the St. Paul Grill. We can only afford going there because
of Father's gift cards.

One great discovery I recently made was in dining-in at Little
Szechwan. We usually get carry out of familiar dishes like szechwan
beef or pork. I've always been interested in trying non-standard
dishes, and it turns out they have lots of unconventional (by Western
standards) preparations. Chitlins, beef tongue, rabbit & duck. For a
good price.

It's tough to order an interesting appetizer that nobody else at your
table will eat, though.. =/

BLink
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled."
- Richard Feynman
Scott Smith
2008-12-31 14:33:02 UTC
Post by Brian Link
Post by Scott
[...]
No more so than most decent restaurants in the cities. The
entrees at Porter and Frye range from mid $20's to mid $30's.
Pretty standard for a good restaurant.
Post by Brian Link
One great discovery I recently made was in dining-in at Little
Szechwan. We usually get carry out of familiar dishes like szechwan
beef or pork.
Nothing wrong with a little good and cheap Chinese food.
Post by Brian Link
It's tough to order an interesting appetizer that nobody else at your
table will eat, though.. =/
It's no fun to eat with non-adventurous eaters.

.
.

catpandaddy
2008-12-31 14:53:49 UTC
Post by Scott
Since we're talking about good dinners here...we went to dinner with
some friends at Porter and Frye last night in the Ivy Hotel downtown
Minneapolis.
http://www.porterandfrye.com
For the main courses the women had the vegetarian Tagliatelle
with maitake mushrooms, fennel, turnips, curry and hazelnuts.
My friend had grass fed beef tenderloin marinated in marsla
wine with gorgonzola and potato puree. I had the Wagyu beef
shortrib with (subtle) horseradish sauce and corona beans.
Quick question if we're still on speaking terms... how do you remember all
the ingredients in everyones orders with such detail? I think I would have
had to take notes on a memo pad to recall all this the next day.
Scott
2008-12-31 15:24:37 UTC
Post by catpandaddy
Post by Scott
Since we're talking about good dinners here...we went to dinner with
some friends at Porter and Frye last night in the Ivy Hotel downtown
Minneapolis.
http://www.porterandfrye.com
For the main courses the women had the vegetarian Tagliatelle
with maitake mushrooms, fennel, turnips, curry and hazelnuts.
My friend had grass fed beef tenderloin marinated in marsla
wine with gorgonzola and potato puree. I had the Wagyu beef
shortrib with (subtle) horseradish sauce and corona beans.
Quick question if we're still on speaking terms...
Why wouldn't we be?
Post by catpandaddy
how do you remember all
the ingredients in everyones orders with such detail? I think I would have
had to take notes on a memo pad to recall all this the next day.
It was still fresh in my mind...

...oh, and I looked at the menu online again, so I cheated. ;-)

.
.