scifi fans: what's that story about cars with lasers?
Brian Link
2007-12-10 04:37:42 UTC
Sorry to go OT so obviously - I've been racking my brain trying to
remember this short story:

It was the genesis of the "Car Wars" board game.

A man is driving his family around. He gets attacked by some punks,
and brings to bear his (extravagant to his wife) weaponry to fend them
off.

The punks blast him with a laser, but he's thankful he bought the
automatically-occluding windshield.

Anyone remember this short story?

Sorta like a tune stuck in your head you can't identify -

BLink
--------------------------
"The worst thing about censorship is [redacted]"
drow
2007-12-11 06:33:18 UTC
Post by Brian Link
It was the genesis of the "Car Wars" board game.
Anyone remember this short story?
"Why Johnny Can't Speed", Alan Dean Foster 1971, is cited as the
inspiration for Car Wars.
--
.-----. ***@bin.sh (CARRIER LOST) <http://www.bin.sh/>
|l~~~l| -------------------------------------------------------------------
|l___l| "It came down to using either VAX VMS or OS/2, so I killed
/+++++\ myself instead." -- A UNIX Hacker in Hell
~~~~~~~
WDS
2007-12-11 23:48:57 UTC
Post by drow
Post by Brian Link
It was the genesis of the "Car Wars" board game.
Anyone remember this short story?
"Why Johnny Can't Speed", Alan Dean Foster 1971, is cited as the
inspiration for Car Wars.
Indeed. But the story isn't much like what Brian is looking for. In
WJCS the protagonist hunts down the car that killed his son and
defeats the other driver (barely) in a fight on the open roads. He is
alone, no family, and no "punks" attack him. I don't remember lasers
either.
Dan Goodman
2007-12-11 07:08:02 UTC
Post by Brian Link
Sorry to go OT so obviously - I've been racking my brain trying to
It was the genesis of the "Car Wars" board game.
A man is driving his family around. He gets attacked by some punks,
and brings to bear his (extravagant to his wife) weaponry to fend them
off.
The punks blast him with a laser, but he's thankful he bought the
automatically-occluding windshield.
Anyone remember this short story?
Sorta like a tune stuck in your head you can't identify -
You've been answered here; but the next time you have such a question,
try rec.arts.sf.written.
--
Dan Goodman
"I have always depended on the kindness of stranglers.".
Links http://del.icio.us/dsgood
Al
2007-12-11 21:20:06 UTC
Post by Dan Goodman
You've been answered here; but the next time you have such a question,
try rec.arts.sf.written.
Wow, you are awfully strict there Dan. Wouldn't want to waste a few bits
here in pirate land. Seeing as how Usenet is used these days mostly for
file sharing, don't you feel odd trying to enforce rules of conduct that
have not been followed in ten years?
Dan Goodman
2007-12-11 21:50:48 UTC
Post by Al
Post by Dan Goodman
You've been answered here; but the next time you have such a
question, try rec.arts.sf.written.
Wow, you are awfully strict there Dan. Wouldn't want to waste a few
bits here in pirate land. Seeing as how Usenet is used these days
mostly for file sharing, don't you feel odd trying to enforce rules
of conduct that have not been followed in ten years?
And it didn't occur to you that I might have been trying to be
_helpful_?

Take two iboprofen, and call Dr. Kervorkian in the morning.
Al
2007-12-12 07:20:39 UTC
Post by Dan Goodman
Post by Al
Post by Dan Goodman
You've been answered here; but the next time you have such a
question, try rec.arts.sf.written.
Wow, you are awfully strict there Dan. Wouldn't want to waste a few
bits here in pirate land. Seeing as how Usenet is used these days
mostly for file sharing, don't you feel odd trying to enforce rules
of conduct that have not been followed in ten years?
And it didn't occur to you that I might have been trying to be
_helpful_?
Take two iboprofen, and call Dr. Kervorkian in the morning.
Did it occur to me that you were trying to be helpful? The part of your
message where you pointed out that the question was already answered
removed the possibility of you being helpful. You moved on to some othet
purpose all on your own.

Here's a clue, if someone posts a question in ANY newsgroup, and gets an
immediate answer, they don't need you telling them a better way to get
it done. Trust me.
Brian Link
2007-12-11 02:25:33 UTC
Thanks.. after some serious Googling today and emails to fellow geeks
I located the short story I was thinking about..

Harlan Ellison's "Along the Scenic Route" is what I was after. Now I'm
curious about which came first - this story or "Why Johnny Can't
Speed".

Anyway, sorry about the OT - but you get these brainworms going and
it's just miserable until you can figure it out.

BLink
--------------------------
"The worst thing about censorship is [redacted]"
Dan Goodman
2007-12-12 07:28:48 UTC
Post by Brian Link
Thanks.. after some serious Googling today and emails to fellow geeks
I located the short story I was thinking about..
Harlan Ellison's "Along the Scenic Route" is what I was after. Now I'm
curious about which came first - this story or "Why Johnny Can't
Speed".
If you mean which was published first, the Internet Speculative Fiction
Data Base (http://isfdb.org) says the Ellison story was.

If you mean which influenced the other -- the answer is likely to be
"Neither."

If you mean "Which was the first such story" -- it's quite possible
that there was at least one earlier than either of these.